Silliman Institute

 

History

In 1852, Mr. William Silliman purchased the property and gave additional money for the establishment of a college for young ladies.  This institution was known as Silliman College and was operated by the Presbytery of Louisiana until 1931.  It was closed at this time because of the general economic conditions and a decline in the number of students.

The Silliman campus was purchased in 1965 by a group of interested citizens and organized into Silliman Private School Corporation.  Against seemingly impossible obstacles a group of parents and patrons banded together and school was opened in 1966 for grades 1 through 7.  In 1967 the school was expanded to include a full high school curriculum.  In 1970 a gymnasium was constructed.  In 1977, Silliman Institute expanded to include Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade.